YWCA Saskatoon has a long history of hosting sports of all kinds. Our beautiful hard-wood court is idea for volleyball, basketball, badminton, and many other sports. We offer regular drop-in basketball sessions for our members and put up the Pickle Ball nets every week for our members to play!
Want to rent our gym for your team or group? Visit our rental page for more information about our gymnasium and our other rental facilities.
What is pickleball? Popular around Saskatoon, this is one of the fastest-growing sports in North America – and now you can learn to play like a pro with our pickleball classes! It’s a racquet sport that combines elements of tennis and badminton with a unique twist, played in an area about the size of a badminton court.
One of pickleball’s greatest attributes is the pace needed to be a competent player. Compared to tennis or badminton, people of all ages and skill levels who take up pickleball can enjoy and excel at the sport more quickly. Even those who have little racquet-sport experience find it easy to become proficient at pickleball! It’s also a year-round sport, played on indoor badminton courts in the winter and outside on modified tennis surfaces in the summer. Its affordable, accessible, and completely FUN!
- We host regular member and drop-in pickleball sessions. Currently, we host two mixed sessions on Tuesdays from 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM and 2:30 PM – 4:00 PM, Wednesdays from 6:00 AM – 9:00 AM, Thursdays from 1:15 PM – 3:00 PM, and Fridays from 1:30 PM – 3:30 PM.
- Learn-to-Play options and pickleball instructions are available.
- Periodically through the season, we host tournaments open to members and the public.
We insist on standard fair play and sportsmanship ideals for pickleball at YWCA Saskatoon. For example, it is considered proper etiquette to allow the players on the opposite side of the court to call the ins and outs, and to respect their calls regardless of whether you agree or not.
Here are some best practices for Pickle Ball Etiquette:
- With the exception of our advanced sessions, please attempt to play to the level of the opponent or opponents you are playing.
- Allow the other side to call ins and outs on their side, and give the benefit of the doubt to your opponent.
- Quickly settle any disputes by willingly reserving the point.
- Ensure all four players are involved in the play. Hitting the ball always to the weaker opponent is an example of poor etiquette.
- Above all else, maintain respect for your teammate and your opponent.
Every day, basketball is played by our members and the public through drop-in sessions, and much of the gymnasium is open for use as a shared space. The gym has specific times every week set aside specifically for basketball, and these are great opportunities for a small pick-up game of 3-on-3 or even 1-on-1, offering a chance to meet other players.
The gym can also be rented for basketball if you want to be sure you get a spot to play.
NEW for 2022: Get ready for Cross Country Skiing!
Fitness on 25th is happy to introduce a new Cross Country Ski Fitness Program designed for beginner to novice skiers. This is a great program to expand your understanding of the physical demands of cross-country skiing and will help you get prepared for the season through in-gym training.
We will cover how to target your training in the gym to improve your experience and have fun while doing so!
Much of the training for this program will occur at the Fitness Centre at the YWCA Saskatoon with some actual ski instruction outdoors when weather permits. We will provide guided at-home workout plans and basic nutritional advice to keep you on the right track all winter long!
NEW for 2022: Spike Ball
YWCA Saskatoon is introducing a new activity to our gymnasium in 2022…Indoor Spike Ball. We offer Spike Ball as a drop-in activity for members and non-members to try this fun sport out. And, in the summer months, we will take our Spike Ball activities out into Kinsmen Park!
Volleyball (Rental Activity Only)
We have one volleyball court in the gym, which is small enough that you’ll spend minimal time spent chasing down volleyballs, but big enough to have regular nets and lines.
Over the years, the gymnasium at the YWCA has hosted many sports and activities. Dodgeball, the sport of baton, martial arts, and many others have found our space useful. Rent with us today and make your mark!