I Want to Support the Fund
What is the NESS Fund?
The NESS Fund provides one-time financial support of up to $2,000 to survivors of gender-based violence to help them leave abusive living conditions, leave emergency shelters or leave precarious living situations like staying temporarily with friends/family or living unhoused.
Who can apply for the NESS Fund?
The fund is open to women, trans, Two-Spirit or gender-diverse people 16 years of age or older. Applicants must be seeking support to leave abusive living conditions, emergency shelters or precarious housing conditions (staying with family/friends; couch-surfing or living unhoused) they were accessing as a result of experiencing violence.
What does gender-based violence mean?
Gender-based violence is an umbrella term describing harmful acts directed at an individual based on their gender. It is rooted in gender inequality, the abuse of power and harmful norms. This includes domestic violence and abuse, intimate-partner violence and family violence.
What can the fund be used for?
The fund is intended to help survivors to leave violence and establish safe, stable housing. You can apply for help with:
- First and last month’s rent;
- Rental arrears that prevent applicants from signing a new lease;
- Set up expenses for utilities;
- Utilities arrears that prevent applicants from setting up new utility contracts;
- Moving expenses;
- Storage expenses;
- Essential furniture for a new home;
- Travel expenses;
- Gender-affirming care and services as needed by trans, Two-Spirit or gender-diverse people;
- Expenses related to attaining permanent resident status or Canadian citizenship; and/or,
- Other essential expenses related to leaving violence and establishing safe, stable housing.
How can I help?
Right now, the project is equipped to provide 1500 grants over the next 4 years in 12 regions across the country. We know we need to do much more to meet the needs of survivors nationwide. By donating, you’re standing with survivors. You can make your gift by following the link below.
Looking for ways your company, workplace or community group can support? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.