I Need Access to Support

What is the NESS Fund?

YWCA’s NESS Fund provide one-time financial support of up to $2,000 to survivors of gender-based violence to help them leave abusive living conditions, emergency shelters or precarious living situations like staying temporarily with friends/family or living unhoused. 


Who can apply for YWCA’s NESS Fund?

The fund is open to women, trans, Two-Spirit or gender-diverse people who are 16 years of age or older. Applicants must be seeking support to leave abusive living conditions, leave emergency shelters or precarious housing conditions (staying with family/friends; couch-surfing or living unhoused) they were accessing as a result of experiencing violence.


What does gender-based violence mean?

Gender-based violence is an umbrella term describing harmful acts directed at an individual based on their gender. It is rooted in gender inequality, the abuse of power and harmful norms. This includes domestic violence and abuse, intimate-partner violence and family violence. 


What can the fund be used for?

The fund is intended to help survivors to leave violence and establish safe, stable housing. You can apply for help with:

  • First and last month’s rent;
  • Rental arears that prevent you from signing a new lease;
  • Set up expenses for utilities;
  • Utilities (hydro, internet, phone) arrears that prevent you from setting up new utilities contracts;
  • Moving expenses;
  • Storage expense;
  • Essential furniture for a new home;
  • Travel expenses (Bus, train, flight costs) .
  • Gender-affirming care and services as needed by trans, Two-Spirit or gender-diverse people; 
  • Expenses related to attaining permanent resident status or Canadian citizenship; and/or,
  • Other essential expenses related to leaving violence and establishing safe, stable housing.


I work with survivors; can I apply for support on their behalf?

Yes, you can apply on behalf of a survivor.


Who do I contact if I have questions?

Please contact: development@ywcasaskatoon.com 


How do I apply for support?

Fill out and submit the form below.