Nutrition Monday: Zucchini Fries
Fitness on 25th
- 1½ pounds fresh zucchini
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers (3½ ounces in weight)
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated Romano cheese
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Trim the ends and cut the zucchini in half. With a spoon, remove any large seeds. (Smaller seeds can stay if the zucchini are small.)
- Cut zucchini into thick French-fry sized pieces leaving skins on.
- Lay out three medium to large bowls.
- In the first place flour, salt and pepper.
- In the second place the eggs and milk.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulverize Ritz, panko and Romano to a fine crumb and place in the third bowl.
- Coat a sheet pan with sides with half the oil. Set aside.
- Place all of the zucchini fries in the bowl with the flour and toss the bowl and squash to coat all sides. Remove to a plate and discard any leftover flour.
- Taking a few at a time, dip in egg, shake off excess and coat in cracker crumbs mixture then lay out on the prepared pan.
- Once the pan is full, drizzle the remaining oil over the fries then spray the whole pan and squash with the pan spray.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Serve with our roasted red pepper dipping sauce (recipe coming tomorrow)