The Super Green Breakfast Bowl
By: Breeanna Tudda, Head Lifeguard
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 table spoon coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic (diced)
- 1 table spoon almonds (roughly chopped)
- 1 hand full kale (leafs removed for the stalk and torn into bit size pieces)
- 1 small hand full baby spinach
- 3 slices of halloumi sliced into desired shape and thickness
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 lemon
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- In a medium pot, place the quinoa and cover with water. Cook the quinoa till it’s al dente (don’t overcook it so it is mushy) approximately 10-15mins. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate pot place the eggs in water till just covered. bring to the boil and set the timer for 3 minutes. Remove from the water and run under a cool tap, peel and set the eggs aside.
- You will need two frying pans on the go at once. Place some coconut oil in both pans in one frying pan, add the garlic, allow the garlic and almonds, cook till the almonds start to get a light color. Add the cooked quinoa and some salt. Place the kale and spinach in and sauté in the pan till just soft, you want it to just start to pop in green colour. remove from the heat and arrange on your plate. I like to make a mountain on the plate or place in a nice white open bowl.
- In your other pan, place your halloumi in and turn once it become golden and soft, add your peeled egg to this also. Turn also as the colour goes golden. I cook it twice because I love the crispy texture, but the middle of the egg is still soft egg. You could also poach or fry the egg, its up to you.
- Arrange your bowl, green mix on the bottom egg and halloumi; I serve mine with a wedge of lemon and avocado on the side.