YWCA Saskatoon’s Employment and Learning Centre remains closed for in-person group programs (Job Finding Club) in light of the COVID-19 situation. We will continue to provide remote services via email, telephone, social media, and Zoom.
One of our remote services is ideas on how to pursue employment from home during the COVID -19 period. We know that getting hired is about having the skills (both hard and soft) that the employer is looking for. But getting hired is also about relationships and being known to the employer.
Most job seekers see an advertisement. They (and 50 or more others) send their standard pre-written resume and possibly a cover letter to the employer and they hope for the best. They never hear back and they wonder why. I can tell you why…they did nothing to inspire or connect with the employer.
The model offered below builds a connection and relationship between the job seeker and the employer. It will not work every time, but I can assure you following the 18 step plan will increase your odds of finding your next job. And you don’t even have to leave your house.
- Find Job Ad
- Study Job Ad
- Decode the Job Ad
- Research Company
- Determine if you wish to apply
- Contact Company with Questions about Ad and Company (note who you spoke to)
- Draft Cover Letter and Resume based on general Resume/Cover, Research and Answers to Questions about Ad and company (note who you spoke to in your cover letter and send them a carbon copy)
- Follow up with Company (Did you receive my application? Do you have any questions about my application?)
- Prepare for Job Interview, by developing answers to standard questions and questions related to the job you are applying to
- Contact References and share job information so they can tailor their responses
- Prepare Reference Sheet
- Attend Job Interview
- Follow Up Thank You Card and offer Additional Information
- Receive Results of Interview
- Decide if you wish to accept the job
- Negotiate Salary
- Sign Letter of Agreement
- Begin Job
This model takes more work, but your chance of getting hired will increase. I encourage you to consider this model next time you apply for a job.
For more information, about new methods of job seeking during the COVID -19 period, book an appointment to see a counsellor by calling (306) 986-2873 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Your Employment and Learning staff are working remotely. Should you have any questions or require assistance in your job search, feel free to contact your Employment and Learning Centre for support.
Stay motivated; stay healthy as you achieve your employment goals.